Caught in the महिमा-मंडान (glorification) of a sedition accused, the mainstream media somehow forgot (or willingly chose not ) to cover some important Government updates from last week.
The last week has been remarkable and exceptional. The country witnessed many events and saw a slew of historical legislations sail through the parliament which will be considered a milestone in the history of this great nation.
1. Rs. 8000 crore has been sanctioned by the Government of India for providing LPG connections to the extremely poor rural households which did not have access to LPG cylinders and had to suffer deadly smoke of chullahs. The move will directly benefit 5,00,00,000 rural women.
2. DRDO, once again, secretly and successfully test-fired K4 SLBM (Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile). This missile is capable of carrying nuclear warhead, has a range of 3500 km and has been developed to arm INS Arihant.
3. Manohar Parrikar finds $3.2 billion (Rs. 20,150 crore) unused money lying in the US bank account used by the MoD to pay USA for arms. This money was lying in the account for years and has now been recovered.
4. The historic Real estate regulator bill was passed by the upper house of the parliament. The bill will regulate the real estate sector, ensure transparency and accountability in this sector and will prevent frauds and harassment of customers. It is one of the most important steps to ensure housing to all in the next 10 years.
5. Inland Waterways Bill was passed by Rajya Sabha. The bill aims to strengthen and boost waterways transport, both goods and passenger by bringing it on par with Railways and roadways in attention and funds it deserves. This will not only reduce the cost of inland transport of heavy goods, but will drastically cut pollution.
6. Adhar Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha. The bill aims to provide subsidies and other services like LPG, PDS delivery, MNREGA wages, etc directly to the targeted members by linking their Adhar, Jan-dhan and Mobile (JAM). This bill is crucial as it will completely plug the subsidy leakage, end the existence of middlemen and provide the entire subsidy directly to the account of beneficiaries.
7. DAC (Defence Acquisition Council) gave its nod to 244 Air defence guns at the cost of Rs. 7000 crore. These guns will be installed at crucial points all over the country. These Air Defence Guns will be produced in India under ‘Make In India’ scheme by BAE systems with Mahindra as its Indian partner.
8. DAC (Defence Acquisition Council) also sanctioned Rs. 13000 crore to equip the indigenously manufactured 7 stealth frigates by sensors and weapons to strengthen the Indian Navy.
In addition, most media houses ignored a landmark leap of India –
ISRO launches 6th IRNSS-1F which is India’s own GPS navigational satellite. With the launch of IRNSS-1F, India is now only one step away from having its fully functional and accurate GPS system which ISRO says will be better than the GPS of the USA.
Compilation by Kshitij Mohan Singh
Edited by – Nishant Das ( Follow me on Facebook)